Coventry Ghost Hunts

Coventry Ghost Hunts

Fancy joining the ghost hunting team on location at one of Coventry’s most haunted venues for a Ghost Hunt?! Haunted Evenings specialise in organising public ghost hunts and haunted events throughout the UK. In fact their event at St Mary’s Guildhall in Coventry was Haunted Evenings very first public ghost hunt 5 years ago!. We plan to return to the Guildhall in Coventry as well as host other Coventry ghost hunts in other haunted locations, such as The Golden Cross in the heart of Medieval Coventry. Check out Coventry’s most haunted places….

St Mary’s Guildhall | Coventry Ghost Hunts

Coventry Ghost Hunts at St Mary's Guildhall with Haunted Evenings

GHOST HUNTING AT COVENTRY’S ST MARY’S GUILDHALL.


Described as being one of the finest remaining Guildhalls in the Country and located among some of the only period buildings in the city, The Guildhall, built around 1340, oozes history. Investigate the Draper’s room where, Mary Queen of Scots was held captive, explore the Old Council Chamber, Princes Chamber and Mercer’s Room and see what paranormal evidence you can capture after dusk! MORE INFO

The Golden Cross | Coventry Ghost Hunts

Golden Cross Pub Coventry Ghost Hunts

GHOST HUNTING AT COVENTRY’S HAUNTED PUB.


The Golden Cross is a Grade II listed building and is one of only 3 like this in Coventry City Centre.  The Pub stands in the Medieval heart of the City. Several reports of Ghostly goings on have been reported here,  one such incidence occurs in the kitchen area which used to be where prisoners were kept in cells centuries ago. Speaking to the landlady, the function room upstairs has played host to paranormal antics too! Dare you stay inside after last orders?!

Not found what you’re looking for? Check out all our ghost hunts events in Warwickshire | West Midlands.

Ghost Hunts Coventry| Ghost Hunting Events in Coventry, Warwickshire | Paranormal Nights Out | Ghost Walks

 

History of Coventry

Once the 4th biggest city in England, Coventry was once a location of growing wealth. Scratch beneath the surface and Coventry has seen quite a distinctive colourful past.

In AD 700 Saxon settlers founded Coventry and built themselves mainly around a Nunnery which was the pivotal point of Coventry. In 1016 King Canute and his Danish army targeted Coventry and attacked its core in an attempt to take over England. During the attack, the Nunnery was severely destroyed. In 1043 Leofric the Earl of Mercia and his wife, Lady Godiva, rebuilt the nunnery and eventually turned it into a Benedictine Monastery. Along with the Monastery came an Abbott and was dedicated to St Mary. Towards the end of the 11th century Coventry Castle was built by Ranulph Lemeschin, The 1st Earl of Chester but unfortunately the Castle was destroyed in the early 12th Century. In the years between 1137 and 1140 Ranulph de Gernon, the 2nd Earl of Chester, rebuilt the castle again and managed to hold it off against King Stephen in the fierce civil war known as “the anarchy”. Just one of the last known notes of the castle was in 1569 , where Mary Queen of Scots had been ordered to be taken and hidden in the castle but due to the poor decay and state of disrepair of the castle, Mary had to be relocated and hidden and was taken to “The Bull Inn”. She was then shortly held in St Mary’s Guildhall until 1570 where Mary Queen of Scots was then ordered to the North of the Country.
By the 14th Century and throughout the Medieval era, Coventry was said to have been the 4th largest city with a population of around 10,000 people only to be beaten in size by Norwich, Bristol, and of course London.
Sadly, little remains of the Tudor period here in Coventry, but take a walk down Bayley Lane in the Cathedral quarter and you can still see St Mary’s Guildhall, The Cottage at No.22 Bayley Lane (the only surviving timber-framed property in the area (adjacent to and once connected to, The Guildhall) and close by, The County Hall and one of the oldest Coventry pubs – The Golden Cross.